Salt Socks - A Simple Ear Ache Remedy
For healthy kids with mild ear pain and no conditions ( cleft palate, down syndrome, cochlear implants etc) you can use these salt socks to help make the patient comfortable.
This remedy comes from an old Italian grandmother and a it is reported that this has been used for at least 2 generations to sooth discomfort and support healing.
A very simple idea where warm salt is placed into a sock and then applied to the sore ear or jaw. Theory is that the heated salt retains soothing warmth that then eases the discomfort. It is possible that the salt also draws out fluid from the painful ear or decreases the pressure on the middle ear.
YOU WILL NEED :
- 1 clean cotton sock. Longer is better as easier to tie.
- 1 cups of course salt.
- 1/2 cup of Epson Salts.
- 2/3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil or Tea Tree. ( Optional)
- Mixing Bowl.
- Pan for warming or warm oven
- Mix the salt and Epson salts together well.
- Fill the Sock.
- Place the sock on a tray and put it into the oven on low heat.
- Warm through so salt is warmed, but do not make it too hot.
- Add the drops of essential oil if using this.
- Place sock on the ear/jaw area and allow to sit here for as long as you wish.
- Repeat by reheating and then reapplying.
Place the salt sock into a pan over very low heat/ Flip over to ensure warming evenly. Once warmed through add the EO drops and apply to the sore ear.
Just something to try. Its safe to use and should bring relief within a short space of time. Also safe to keep repeating. The arms is definitely soothing.