how to make lemon extract
Perfect for Baking or making Homemade Limoncello
Before you squeeze a lemon use a sharp knife or a peeler to remove the yellow rind. NB. only the yellow and no white pith.
You can freeze zest in a bag or container until you have enough for a batch of extract. You might not be using a lot of lemons all at once so accumulate the rind.
Use a good quality/proof Vodka for making this extract although Ethanol Alcohol is much better. Make sure the alcohol is not denatured. It must be PURE ethanol.
Potato Based Alcohol/Vodka is naturally gluten free.
You can use Food Grade Glycerine instead of Alcohol but the process takes longer and the extract will taste much sweeter.
YOU WILL NEED:
(if making a batch of extract)
- 1 Kg lemons (organic are best and thick skins are easier to peel)
- 3 Cups ( 80% proof Vodka, Ethanol Alcohol or Food Grade Glycerine. Add until Lemon Rind is covered.
- 2 Large Glass Jars
- Sodium Benzoate ( just a little)
TO MAKE :
- Prepare the lemons. Wash and Dry.
- Use a Peeler, Zester or sharp knife to peel the lemons. Slivers of skin. Make long delicate ribbons. No pith(white part)
- Fill glass jar to 3/4 full of peel. Pour in the Alcohol or Glycerine
- Seal and shake. Place the Jar in a dark place for 4 - 6 weeks.
- Shake daily for 1st week. Then weekly thereafter.
Test the intensity after 4/5 week and strain once you are satisfied with the lemon intensity. Leave it for longer if need be. Glycerine will take longer - 8/10 weeks then test.
Once desired intensity reached, prepare your jar by sterilizing. This can be boiled or heated in an oven but dont burn yourself. Glass gets piping hot.
Or rinse our in a solution of water and a pinch of Sodium Benzoate.
Strain out the peel/zest. Store in a dark cupboard of refrigerator. Can be kept for 12 month and more.
waste not want not
other lemon peel ideas
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning . Dried rind, added to course or medium organic salt. Delicious for meat, fish and vegetables.
- Citrus infused Vinegar - Use on vegetables or salads.
- Limoncello - A traditional Italian Cordial. It tastes amazing. Add lots of Ice and can be diluted with spring water
- Add some Zest to your dishwasher in a little muslin bag. A great grease cutter and it makes the machine smell clean
- Make Candied Lemon Peel - A sugar dipping process - Makes very nice decoration for cupcakes or even garnish for desserts
- Lemon tea - Infuse some grated peel - fresh or dried with Boiling water. Add honey if needed to sweeten.
- Add to Poppy seed Muffins or Lemon Chicken Pasta.
A Quick Tasty Chicken Pasta Recipe.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 Chicken Breasts - de boned and no skin. Free Range if possible.
- 1 Large Lemon - Remove the Zest using a Grater or Zester.
- Cut Lemon in half and juice. Remove the pips.
- 2 Portions of Pasta - Fusilli or Penne are best but any pasta is fine.
- 1 Small Onion. 2 Tbs Butter
- Fresh Chopped Parsley. ( Parsley is a natural diuretic. Reduces bloating and Blood Pressure. Contains Vitamins A, C and K. Vitamin K promotes Bone Health.) It also tastes delicious.
- Salt and Pepper - Herbal Salt is a great option. You can make your own herbal salt.
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock. You can make your own stock or use a stock cube
- Put on a Pot of Boiling water and cook your pasta.
- Cut the onion into blocks. Melt the butter in a pan and fry onions until translucent. Golden not brown
- Slice the Chicken into strips. Add to the pan with the onions. Fry lightly.
- Add the Chicken stock. Simmer for 5 mins. Add the Parsley, Salt and Pepper.
- Toss the Drained Pasta into the Chicken Sauce and Serve.